Applications are being accepted for a full-time Public Relations and Events Specialist at Moraine Park Technical College, Fond du Lac campus. This position is responsible for writing and disseminating College news and information and establishing and maintaining relationships with district, state and national media to provide for the continued growth and support of the College's Public Information efforts.
1. Develop and maintain internal communications with key information sources within the College to ensure the Marketing and Communications Department is aware of newsworthy events and story possibilities.
2. Develop story lines and conduct research and interviews as appropriate to prepare blog content, feature articles and press releases.
3. Write and disseminate press releases and feature articles to print, broadcast and electronic media outlets.
4. Foster positive relationships with local media by answering inquiries, suggesting news stories and maintaining regular personal contact.
5. Develop Moraine Park’s blog content, writing articles when needed, training colleagues on blog writing, and reviewing and publishing accessible blog content with appropriate keywords and tags several times per week.
6. Coordinate events for enrollment, community engagement and fundraising. Coordination would include developing ideas to increase participation in events, creating event programs and other collateral materials from templates, working with facilities and other personnel on logistics, and attending the events.
7. Take photographs as necessary for the College’s blog, website and public relations activities.
8. Monitor and document Moraine Park’s news coverage.
9. Coordinate and submit state and other award nominations as needed.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field and 1-2 years of experience in Journalism, Communication or Public Relations and consumer event management. Any combination of equivalent training and experience which provides desired knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
2. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive, effective relationships with the media, students, staff, business and industry, legislators, and the general public.
3. Expertise in public relations, social media and journalism processes and procedures including Associated Press Style.
4. Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with diverse populations and the media.
5. Demonstrated ability to work independently under pressure, exercising good judgment with minimum supervision.
6. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.
7. Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
8. Demonstrated knowledge of digital photography; electronic communications, including Web and social media; and familiarity with advertising concepts.
9. Thorough knowledge of spelling, grammar, English usage and punctuation.
10. Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to schedule, prioritize and organize multiple projects.
11. Possession of a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required. Travel and irregular hours, to include evenings and weekends, are required.
Group Life Insurance
Group Health Insurance
Group Dental Insurance
Group Vision Insurance
Long Term Disability
Accumulative Sick Leave
403(b)/457 Deferred Comp-Voluntary Retirement Savings Program Options
Employee Assistance Program