Applications are being accepted for a full-time Disability Resource Specialist/Interpreter at Moraine Park Technical College, West Bend campus. This position provides a variety of support services and sign language interpreting services to students with disabilities on various campuses. Travel, evening, and weekend hours may be regularly required.
1. Work in collaboration with Accommodation Specialists and classroom instructors to provide one-on-one academic support and sign language interpreting services to students with disabilities.
2. Provide accommodations/academic support services to students based on individual Accommodation Plans developed by the Accommodation Specialists. Services may include assignment clarification/review, course concept clarification and review, test preparation, testing accommodations, proofreading, obtaining E-texts, scribe services, assistive technology training, and communicating with instructors as needed.
3. Provide sign language interpreting, transliteration, and voice-to-sign/sign-to-voice services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students in classes, labs, group work, tutoring sessions, extern/internships, field trips, meetings, other college-related activities and services.
4. Arrange note taking services for students with disabilities, including the completion of all required documents and reports.
5. Assist in the development and implementation of team projects. Participate in team meetings with the Disability Resources Manager, Accommodation Specialists, and other Disability Resource Specialists.
6. Track student progress, maintain close contact with Accommodation Specialists, and modify services as needed.
7. Serve as an advocate for students with disabilities and promote services of Disability Resources for students with disabilities with faculty, staff and the community.
8. Maintain resources and materials, accurate records of services provided, complete state reporting requirements, and prepare reports for Director of Admissions and Student Affairs Grant Coordinator.
9. Provide academic support to at-risk students as schedules permit.
10. Participate in state-wide and college meetings and perform other duties as assigned.
1. Associate Degree or equivalent work experience required. A Renewable Sign Language Interpreter license from the State of Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services required. Bachelor degree in sign language interpreting, education, or special education preferred.
2. Three years of related work experience to include providing sign language interpreting and support services to students, preferably those with disabilities in a higher education setting.
3. Any combination of equivalent training and experience which provides desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
4. Ability to assess the language of Deaf and Hard of Hearing students and settings to determine optimal linguistic equivalence, evaluate student feedback, assess effectiveness of sign language interpretation, and adjust interpretation accordingly.
5. Demonstrated ability in sign language as shown by meeting licensing requirements.
6. Knowledge of related laws and regulations governing sign language interpretation and services for students with all disabilities.
7. Strong verbal and written communications skills.
8. General knowledge of various disabilities and learning styles.
9. Ability to learn course content and develop strategies to reinforce learning of those concepts.
10. Knowledge of learning disabilities and their impact on learning and support strategies applicable to these needs.
11. Ability to maintain accurate records and compile data for reporting purposes.
12. Strong interpersonal skills.
13. Demonstrated ability to use computer applications including MS Office, Outlook, and an ERP system (Banner preferred) along with knowledge of assistive technology.
14. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse populations
Group Life Insurance
Group Health Insurance
Group Dental Insurance
Group Vision Insurance
Long Term Disability
Accumulative Sick Leave
403(b)/457 Deferred Comp-Voluntary Retirement Savings Program Options
Employee Assistance Program